Entree - Complete meal - Can be vegetarian and gluten free (read notes at bottom)
2 red or yellow or orange bell peppers, halved, seeds and ribbings removed
1 cup Italian farro, partly cooked and drained
1 cup ricotta (1 1/2 if very soft)
1 14-oz. can Italian peeled san Marzano tomatoes, with their juice
2 Bratwurst link, casing removed and crumbled
1 egg (if ricotta is really thick as homemade is)
Italian Extra virgin oilve oil
Italian sea salt
If you don't have some ready, boil farro in lightly salted water, drain and bring to room temperature. Chop the San Marzano tomatoes and set aside, with their juice.
If ricotta is too thick, like mine that was handmade, thin it a little with milk, then transfer to a big bowl. Add brats and the egg (if needed). mix nicely to combine.
Then add farro and stir nicely to combine all ingredients; stuff your bell peppers.
In a large saucepan with lid over medium heat, warm up 2-3 tbsp of Italian olive oil and pour the chopped tomatoes. Stir and season with a pich of Italian sea salt.
Arrange the bell peppers (with stuffing upside) and lower heat to low, cover with lid and simmer until bell peppers are tender.
Serve them immediately.
- This is a perfect item for work lunch, since it's a complete meal and it's great at room temperature or warm.
- You can bake them, at 350-375F until bell peppers are done.
- You can avoid tomatoes, and cook with broth.
- This recipe can be prepared with rice, making it gluten free. If you leave bratwurst out, it is vegetarian too.
- You can find the video to this recipe here