Soup - Vegan & vegetarian - Gluten & lactose free
1 14-oz can Italian chickpeas (ceci), drained and rinsed
3/4 cup Italian Carnaroli rice
1 cup Italian peeled San Marzano tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 medium potato, quartered
1/2 small onion, diced
2 leaves sage and a few rosemary leaves
8-10 cups vegetable stock, hot
Italian extra virgin olive oil
Italian sea salt
In a saucepan (with lid) pour 6 cups of the stock (keep the remaining one warm), with potato, onion, chickpeas and herbs. Season with salt and cook for about 15 minutes.
As soon as it boils, stir in rice and the chopped tomatoes. Cook about 10 minutes; remove the potatoes and continue cooking until rice is al dente.
In the meantime, blend potatoes with a few tbsp of the warm stock, until you obtain a creamy consistency. Stir this cream in the soup a couple minutes before rice is cooked, and adjust with salt, if needed.
Serve in individual bowls drizzled with Italian extra virgin olive oil.
This recipe serves 2-3
- If, while cooking, you see that the soup becomes too thick, add a little warm broth. Do that every time you need.
- You can use Italian farro, instead of rice.
- Carnaroli is the best rice for risotto and soups because it holds the "al dente" very well
- San Marzano tomatoes are the best peeled tomatoes (and the ones we carry have no salt - no "nothing" added!!!)
- This soup is great also at room temperature. It can also be frozen, in order to have a good quick AND HEALTHY dinner
- It's vegetarian/vegan, lactose and gluten free! If you use farro it will no longer be gluten free!!!