Here we go with another recipe. Given the abundance of summer produce (and if you grow your own zucchini, you know WHAT I'm talking about ;-) ), I wanted to prepare them differently than usual, even just to change flavor a little... so here come cutlets! As said, they can be lactose & gluten free and also vegetarian!! Have fun!!
For the cutlets:
1 lb chicken breast, thinly sliced (about 1/8" thick)
2 medium eggplant, sliced lengthwise (about 1/8" thick)
2 zucchini, sliced lengthwise (about 1/8" thick)
1/4 cup milk
Italian 00 flour
Breadcrumbs (NOT seasoned or flavored)
Italian sea salt
To complement (optional):
1 28-oz can Italian San Marzano peeled tomatoes, with their sauce, roughly chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 cup Italian dried black olives
2 tbsp Italian capers, packed in salt and rinsed
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
Italian extra virgin olive oil
First of all, prepare your sauce. In a saucepan over medium-high heat warm 2 tbsp olive oil and sautee onion, carrot and celery, until onion becomes translucent.
Add tomatoes, capers and olives and lower heat to simmer, cover with lid and simmer for at least 15-20 minutes; stir herbs in and cook 5 more minutes.
In the meantime, prepare the cutlets.
Lightly beat eggs with a pinch of salt and milk.
Dredge chicken breast in flour, then eggs, then breadcrumbs, pressing with your hand so that breadcrumbs stick firmly to your meat. Repeat with all meat slices, then vegetable slices.
Warm up enough olive oil to fry.
Fry all your cutlets (few at a time), turning them in order to get golden on both sides.
Transfer on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
Serve immediately, with the sauce on a side and mixed salad.
Serving depends on size of slices.
Zucchini (quite large ;-) )
- DON'T sprinkle with salt while frying or you won't have a crisp cutlet.
- If you use chicken tenders, you don't need to cut them thinner.
- If you don't want to prepare your sauce, you can use a very good pre-made one like the Pomodorina we carry: you'll only have to add capers and olives.
- It can be lactose free, in case you use an extra egg and no milk; it can also be gluten free as long as you use GF breadcrumbs.
- For a vegetarian meal, avoid chicken breast.