Pasta entree - Vegetarian and Vegan - Lactose free - Can be gluten free (read notes below)
1/2 lb of Italian penne pasta
3 medium tomatoes, ripe but firm
4 leaves of fresh basil, roughly chopped
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and halved
2 tbsp of Italian extra virgin olive oil
Italian sea salt
Dice the tomatoes, put them in a bowl along with garlic, basil, salt and olive oil. Stir and set aside to marinate, allowing tomatoes to pull out their juice.
In the mean time, bring a large pot of water to boil.
When water boils add salt and pasta and stir.
In the same time, put a skillet on medium-high heat and the tomatoes with thier juice in it, stirring.
Drain the pasta, transfer it in the skillet and toss it with the tomatoes, sautee for a couple of minutes and serve.
This recipe is for 2
- For this recipe, a short cut pasta is better.
- Don't add oil to the pasta water: it will coat your pasta and prevent sauce from sticking to your pasta. Just stir it.
- Always save some of the cooking water, in case your sauce thickens too much.
- If you don't like the tomato peel, peel them this way: make a cross on the bottom of the tomatoes, put them in boiling water for 30 seconds or 1 minute depending on their size, remove them from water and the peel will come away easily.
- It's vegan and lactose free. It can be gluten free if you use gluten free Italian pasta.
- We didn't eat it right away: we cover with plastic wrap and refrigereate it: it was great tasting even cold!!!
- You can find our video here