Entree - Gluten free - Can be lactose free and vegetarian (READ notes at bottom)
Renata, it's been a huge pleasure to do this video with you!!!!!!!
1 lb Carnaroli Italian rice
1 cup peas, frozen
4 egg, hard boiled and peeled
1 5-oz can Italian tuna in olive oil
6 oz marinated artichoke hearts, drained
1/2 cup Italian dried black olives
1 jar marinated mushrooms, drained
1 cup ham
1 1/2 cup cheese (Asiago or provolone or Swiss or pecorino or a mix of them)
Extra virgin olive oil
Italian sea salt
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then add salt and rice, stir and cook until al dente.
In the mean time defrost peas (either overnight in the refrigerator or under running cold water), dice eggs, drain and crumble tuna, dice artichokes, mushrooms, ham and cheese.
Arrange all the vegetables in one bowl and all the proteins in another, and mix them to combine.
When al dente, drain rice, quickly cool it down under running cold water and spread on a kitchen towel to dry, then transfer it to a bowl.
Assemble the salad: in a big bowl transfer half rice along with half vegetable mixture and half protein mixture and stir well to combine; repeat until you finish the ingredients.
Drizzle with olive oil and stir again.
Refrigerate for 2 hours at least, covered with plastic wrap.
This recipe serves about 8
- You can find the video of this recipe here.
- It's gluten free. It can be vegetarian (leave tuna and ham out); it can also be lactose free (leave cheese out).
- You can virtually add anything you like: beans, carrots, zucchini, tomatoes, cucumbers.... just use your creativity.
- You can use mayonnaise to dress your salad, if you'd like.
- You can lighten mayonnaise (if you use it) using half light sugar free yogurt.
- It's a complete meal, can easily fit in an appetizer. It's great in buffet style meals and it's perfect for summertime.