Pu

lunedì 26 settembre 2016

ANGELA'S PENNE WITH SPECK (and more)

Entree - Can be Gluten free (READ footnotes)

I was scrolling down posts in a Facebook group I belong to (a lot of Italian women around the word sharing recipes and suggestions). I stumbled upon a photo of a dish made and posted by Angela and, thinking I had all the ingredients, I planned to fix it for dinner. It turned out I didn't have have a couple of them, so I made some substitutions. Check the footnotes for the original ingredients. THANKS ANGELA!


1 lb Italian penne pasta
2 cups frozen peas & carrots
1 small onion
3 oz Italian speck
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 tbsp Italian extra virgin olive oil
Italian coarse sea salt


Bring a large pot of water to a boil.

In the meantime, thinly slice the onion and cut speck in strips.

In a large non-stick skillet warm the olive oil and sautee onion until lightly golden, add speck and sautee just about a minute. Stir in cream, let it warm up and remove from heat.

When water boils, add salt and frozen vegetables; cover with lid and bring to a boil again; now add pasta, stirring for the first couple of minutes, so pasta won't stick.

Once pasta is al dente, turn the heat on again under the skillet, drain pasta and transfer to the sauce; sautee, tossing to coat evenly.

Serve immediately sprinkled with some good grated Parmigiano, if desired.

Serves 4-5


- Angela's original recipe called for shallot and fresh peas, no carrots. I didn't have shallot so I used onion. I also used the mixed frozen peas and carrots, you can use fresh ones without big issues, just remember to adjust cooking times accordingly.
- Speck is a cured cold cut, similar to Prosciutto, but with it's smoked. I find it hard to substitute, honestly...
- To make it gluten free, use a good quality GF Italian pasta, like the one we carry.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento