Entree - Lactose free - Can be gluten free (READ footnotes)
I love fish, I love to cook (this should be clear, by now ;-) ). I found these Dover sole fillets (fresh and wild caught) at a killer price, so I decided to try this recipe, that I read on an Italian magazine and I tried to recreate it, based on my memory... I don't even know if I used all right ingredients! The final result, though, was good :-)
6 Sole fillets
8 oz cooked shrimp
1/2 cup non-flavored breadcumbs
1/3 cup almonds, chopped
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp hot pepper flakes
1 big orange, juice and grated zest (divided)
1/2 onion, chopped
1/4 cup brandy
2-3 tbsp Italian extra virgin olive oil
Italian sea salt
In a bowl, combine all the shrimp and the orange zest with about half breadcrumbs, almond, parsley and hot pepper flakes. In a different bowl the remaining breadcrumbs, almond, parsley and hot pepper flakes. Season both with a pinch of salt.
Lay the sole fillets flat and spread some of the shrimp mixture on halt of them, then fold as a pocket and secure with a toothpick.
In a non-stick skillet, over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil and sautee the chopped onion and, when it turns translucent, add the breadcrumb mixture (and whatever shrimp mix may be left from stuffing).
Sautee until breadcrumbs start getting lightly golden, then add the sole fillets and let them sear; flip carefully with a spatula, paying attention not to break them, these fillets are really delicate.
Once seard on this side, deglaze with brandy and let alcohol evaporate; pour orange juice in, let thicken for a few minutes, season with salt, if needed, and remove from heat.
Depending on the size of the fillets, you can serve 4-8
- You can serve this recipe with a nice salad or other vegetables (sauteed or steamed).
- You can actually bake the fillets, but not having tried this option, I can't tell you what the timing would be.
- If you don't have fresh parsley, you can substitute that and hot pepper flakes with 2 tsps of our dried mix that has parley, hot pepper flakes and garlic.
- You could also use an infused Italian extra virgin olive oil, instead of the traditional one. Yes, we carry that too :-)
- This recipe is lactose free, use gluten free breadcrumbs to make it safe.