Entree - Gluten free
I LOVE stuffed vegetables, and this is a combination of 2 recipes I constantly prepare. They are pale (read footnotes) but I can assure you that the result is really good! Perfect for picnics, lunchbox, work lunch... they're good both warm and at room temperature.
3 Zucchini, medium-big
Leftover meats (rotissery chicken, roasted pork... whatever)
7 oz ricotta cheese
3 tbsp grated Parmigiano reggiano
1 extra large egg
Freshly chopped mint or parsley
Italian extra virgin olive oil
Cut zucchini in half, legthwise and scoop out the pulp. You won't use it for this recipe, in the footnotes, you'll find some suggestions on how to use it.
In a food processor, chop meats and transfer to a bowl. Add to the meats both cheeses, egg, mint or parsley, nutmeg and salt, if needed.
Mix all ingredients until nicely combined, then stuff your zucchini with it.
At this points you have 2 choices: you can bake them or cook them on the stove.
To bake, brush a baking dish with a little Italian olive oil, arrange them in it, add a little broth and cover with foil. Bake on central rack at 350F for 15 minutes. Uncover, top with some mozzarella cheese (or sliced provolone) and broil until golden.
To cook on the stove, coat a non-stick skillet or saucepan (with a lid) with a little Italian olive oil, arrange them in it, add a little broth and cover with the lid. Cook on medium heat for about 20 minutes.
- You can add some cold cuts, to the meat, if you like them (or have them).
- When cooking on the stovetop, 5 minutes before they're done, top with some mozzarella cheese (or sliced provolone) and cook until it melts. Or (if the skillet is ovenproof) broil them until golden.
- You can use the inner zucchini pulp for soups or also to prepare a pasta sauce. You can also sautee it, with sliced onions, in Italian olive oil and serve as a side for this meal.
- You can use dried parsley or mint, don't use both: mint will overpower parsley.
- My zucchini look rather pale because I used white meats and didn't have time to broil, since I used them for lunch here at the store.
- It's gluten free.