Pu

martedì 21 luglio 2015

ELISA'S BAKED ZUCCHINI BLOSSOMS

Appetizer - Vegetarian - Lactose free - Can be gluten free (read footnotes)



Sunday I was talking to my sister in Italy and, as usual, we talked about food, too!! She has always been an amazing cook just like mom (no, not like grandma who was a terrible cook ;-) but we loved her anyway) and always comes up with interesting things. We were talking about zucchini blossoms that, both in my garden and in our parents', grow wildly... she suggested to bake them, instead of frying them and I tried. I realized I made a couple mistakes so the blossoms in the picture don't look great but.... they were! I'll try a couple more variations, when I'll have more blossoms ready. If you don't grow zucchini yourselves, go to a farmers' market: many times they have it; if not, just ask a seller if they could keep the blossoms for you and bring them the following week.



Zucchini blossoms (3-4 each person)
Breadcrumbs, non flavored, fine texture
Large eggs
Italian sea salt
Italian extra virgin olive oil

In a bowl, beat the eggs with a pinch of salt. Arrange breadcrumbs in a shallow dish.

Dip blossoms in eggs, then in breadcrumbs making sure they are tightly sticking to both sides of the blossom (which will be flat, by then).

Lightly grease a baking dish with Italian extra virgin olive oil (otherwise you'll not be able to detach them), arrange the blossoms on a single layer (possibly not toughing each other) and drizzle with a little more olive oil.

Place the dish on the rack immediatley below the broiler, turn it on and cook until top is golden (it won't take long), then flip blossoms and do the same for the other side.

The serving numbers vary depending on the number and the size of blossoms.



- I have not specified any quantities because they depend on the number of blossoms you have. In my case, for 10 blossoms, I used 2 large eggs (beaten with a little milk - which would make them no longer lactose-free) and about 2 cups of crumbs (which I like more coarse, and I make my own). I had some leftovers for both.
- It's a perfect appetizer.
- I forgot to drizzle the blossoms so the breadcrumbs "burnt" on the edges.
- Given the vicinity of the broiled, I highly suggest NOT to use parchment paper.
- It's vegetarian (even though not vegan) and it's lactose free. For gluten free, use gluten free breadcrumbs.
- For the traditional battered and fried blossoms recipe, check our post here and our video here

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento