Entree - complete meal - Can be vegetarian, lactose and gluten free (READ notes at bottom)
1 lb Italian penne
1 5-oz cans Italian tuna in olive oil
2 big ripe tomatoes
1 small eggplant, grilled
1 cup mozzarella, diced
4 tbsp Italian extra virgin olive oil
Italian sea salt
1 tbsp freshly chopped basil
1 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
Bring a large pot of water to boil.
In the meantime, peel and dice cucumbers, dice tomatoes and drain tuna but reserve its oil.
Transfer tomatoes, eggplant, cucumbers, tuna and mozzarella in a bowl and season with olive oil, salt and herbs. Mix well and refrigerate until it's time to use it.
When water boils, add salt and penne, stir and cook for about 2 minutes shorter than it would take to get "al dente". Drain it, quickly rinse it under cold running water, to stop the cooking. Spread on a kitchen cloth to cool down completely.
Transfer penne to a big bowl with all other ingredients and mix well.
Refrigerate, covered with a lid or plastic wrap, for 2 hours at least.
This recipe serves 4-5
- It's a perfect dish for a buffet.
- It's great during summertime.
- Alternate small batches of pasta and other ingredients, so they will combine more easily.
- For a gluten free version, use Italian GF penne (we carry them).
- For a vegetarian, avoid tuna and for a lactose free dish, avoid mozzarella (both can be replaced with hard boiled eggs).
- For a dish as simple as this, use only good quality pasta, tuna, EV olive oil, like the ones we carry.