Side dish or pasta sauce - Vegan/vegetarian - Lactose and Gluten free
1 small onion
2-3 mini carrots
1 bunch Swiss chards
3-4 tomatoes, ripe but firm
4 tbsp Italian extra virgin olive oil
Italian sea salt
Freshly chopped basil or parsley
Roughly chop onion.
Thinly slice, carrots and zucchini, but keep them separate.
Divide chards' stems from leaves; cut stems in pieces and leaves in strips, again, keeping them separate.
Dice tomatoes and put them in a bowl with a pinch od salt and 1 tbsp of Italian extra virgin olive oil
In a big skillet, over medium-high heat, warm up the remaining olive oil.
Sautee onions and carrots, stirring, for about 2 minutes, the add chards' stems and sautee another minute.
At this point add zucchini, and sautee for about 2 minutes more.
Stir in the tomatoes with all their juice, lower heat to simmer and cook util vegetables are done.
A couple minutes before turning the heat off, stir in the chards' leaves (that will cook in a very short time) and check if more salt is needed.
At the end, sprinkle with freshly chopped basil or parsley.
- This dish can be used as a side dish or pasta sauce.
- If you can't find flavorful fresh tomatoes, use Italian San Marzano peeled tomatoes.
- All the vegetables I used (that you can see in the picture) were from our garden, therefore rather small in size.
- It's great even at room temperature.
- You can also sprinkle with a mix of parsley and basil or oregano
- It's vegan/vegetarian, lactose and gluten free!