Fish entree - Gluten and Lactose free - Perfect for diets!!
I would love to say Sicilian-style, but I have no idea if they prepare it this way... But I'm using Sicilian capers, sea salt and olive oil, in this recipe!
1 lb white fish fillets (I used Swai)
14 oz Italian peeled San Marzano tomatoes, roughly chopped, with their juice
1/3 cup Italian black olives
2 tbsp Italian capers, packed in salt and rinsed
2 garlic cloves
2-3 tbsp of parsley, chopped
Italian extra virgin olive oil
Sicilian sea salt
Pat fish fillets dry with paper towels and cut in 2" long pieces.
Prepare the tomato sauce: warm 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large saucepan with lid, sautee garlic, capers and olives, then add the peeled tomatoes with their juice. Stir and cook for 5-10 minutes on medium heat, covered, stirring every once in a while.
Add the fish pieces and cook for 5 minutes per side (or more, depending on the thickness).
Serve immediately, sprinkled with parsley.
This recipe serves 4.
- You can use any kind of fish fillets (cod, tilapia, sole etc.), you only have to adjust cooking time, depending on their thickness.
- You can sautee fish fillets, once dredged in flour, until golden, then pour sauce in the same skillet and finish cooking in that sauce. This way, it won't be as light.
- You can add 2-3 Italian anchovy fillets and melt them while sauteeing garlic, capers and olives.
- You can also add hot pepper flakes, for a little extra kick, if you like it.
- This recipe is gluten and lactose free; it's also suitable for diets, given the very limited amount of fats.
- It's a perfect recipe for Lent.
- You can find a video here.