Entree - Soup - Vegetarian/vegan - Lactose free - Can be gluten free (READ notes at bottom)
This soup is perfect because, if you use the canned legumes, it won't take longer than 35 minutes to prepare it!!!
1 can Italian Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 can Italian Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 scant cup Italian Farro
2 small potatoes, peeled and diced
2 small carrots, diced
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 onion, diced
1 tbsp Italian tomato paste (in tube, double concentrated)
Italian Extra virgin Olive Oil
Italian sea salt
Vegetable stock, 10 cups at least
In a big pot, over high heat, let the vegetable stock boil and keep it warm. Set aside some stock (about 2 cups) and keep it warm in case you need it.
Add beans, chickpeas, potatoes, peas, onion, carrots, tomato paste and herbs, stir and let it boil again.
As soon as the soup boils, add the farro and adjust with salt (if needed), lower heat to medium and cook for about 20-25 minutes.
If the soup becomes too thick, add warm stock, little by little.
Serve drizzled with olive oil.
This recipe serves about 4.
- You can prepare a big batch of this soup and freeze it in portions (2-3-4 portions, depending on your usage). It is way healthier than anything you'd buy canned!
- This is a typical Tuscan soup; farro is a grain similar to rice and can substitute it in every recipe, it has more proteins and fibers. Being a grain, it's NOT suitable for celiacs.
- This soup can be considered a full meal because of the noble proteins and the carbohydrates contained in both legumes and farro.
- You can use chicken stock, if you like it, but it won't be vegetarian anymore.
- It's vegetarian and vegan and lactose-free. For a gluten-free version, use rice instead of farro.