Entree or appetizer - Gluten free - Vegetarian (READ notes below)
4 Red, orange or yellow bell peppers, or a mix of them
1 container ricotta cheese, well drained
6 oz prosciutto, chopped
1/2 cup Parmigiano, grated
1 1/2 cup Italian strained San Marzano tomatoes
1 tbsp parsley, chopped
Italian sea salt
Cut bell peppers in half, lengthwise, then remove seeds and inner ribbings.
In a big bowl mix ricotta, prosciutto, parmigiano, parsley, nutmeg and season with salt. Stuff your bell peppers with this mixture.
Put a large saucepan with lid on medium-high heat and warm up the strained tomatoes (with some herbs, if you like) and cook the stuffed bell peppers in that sauce. Cover with the lid, and simmer until bell peppers are tender.
This recipe serves 4-8, depending on what else is served.
- You can cook them in the oven, too, if you like it.
- You can substitute prosciutto with ham, if you prefer it.
- You can eat them at room temperature, too.
- You can freeze the when cooked and warm them in the microwave or in the oven, when needed.
- You can prepare them in advance and cook them when you need them; in this case you have to keep them refrigerated for not more than one day (because of the ricotta, that's very delicate) or freeze them.
- It's gluten free and, if prosciutto is left out, it's vegetarian.