Dessert - Vegetarian (can be vegan, lactose and gluten free - READ notes at bottom)
This recipe is the result of FRIENDSHIP!! Our friends Sally and Brenda gave us the apples and our friend Simo gave us the recipe! Thanks to all of you!!!!
1 to 4 apples, depending on the size
100 gr Italian 00 flour (1 scant cup)
40 gr. sugar (about 4 tbsp)
1/2 cup milk, be flexible with the quantity
1 lemon, zest and juice
1/2 tsp baking powder
Italian extra virgin olive oil to fry
Peel, core and thinly slice apples, then arrange in a bowl with the lemon juice; stir to coat all the slices, to prevent them form darkening.
In a large bowl, stir all dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder and grated lemon zest), then add the egg and enough milk to obtain a smooth, thick batter. Add apples with the lemon juice and adjust with milk, if batter is too thick (refer to our video to check on the batter thickness).
Refrigerate until oil gets to the right frying temperature.
Spoon apple batter in the oil 4-5 fritters at a time, so the temperature won't drop too much. Turn them a couple of times until they are golden on both sides. Remove and line on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
These quantities made 20 medium fritters. The actual quantity will depend on how big you'll make them.
- Remember to adjust the heat underneath your oil because it will get warmer with time, resulting in "burned outside" and "not cooked inside" fritters.
- If you want to use cinnamon, don't use lemon and add a pinch of it to the dry ingredients: a pinch, not a truck load... it's supposed to enhance apple flavor, not cover it.
- you can rol them in sugar, or sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, or leave them as they are.
- It's vegetarian.
- Use lactose free milk for intolerance, or if you are vegan (avoid the egg and use a little more milk).
- Try using almond flour, if you're celiac; you may need to adjust liquid ingredients quantities, given the different consistency of the flour.
- You can find our video here