Appetizer - Vegetarian
This is the result of brainstorming with some online friends and a little change from Irene`s (who lives in New Mexico) recipe! Thanks for the idea, Irene!!!
4-5 medium zucchini, thinly sliced and sauteed with some onion
Italian grated parmigiano reggiano or grana padano (about 1/2 cup)
Italian fine NON seasoned breadcrumbs
fresh mint, chopped
some diced mozzarella
Italian sea salt
Italian extra virgin olive oil
I sauteed zucchini and onions in Italian extravirgin olive a few days in advance. You can do it the same day, provided that you'll let them cool down completely before using them.
Roughly chop the sauteed zucchini/onions and transfer them to a big bowl, then chop mint (as fine as you want) and add to the zucchini. I did it with a knife becase the leaves were not enough for a food processor.
Now add eggs, parmigiano and enough breadcrumbs to obtain a mixture dense enough to withhold shaping. When shaping it, add a piece of mozzarella in the heart of your fritter, so it won't come out when frying.
Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Warm up olive oil and, in the meantime, remove fritters from refrigerator and dredge in breadcrumbs and, when oil is ready, toss them in and fry until golden on both sides. Make sure they are cooked through and mozzarella is melting...
Line on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
The final amount depends on how big the zucchini are.
- Irene boils the zucchini, smashes them with a fork and also adds a piece of hot salami, along with mozzarella.
- You can serve them in a mixed appetizer but make sure you fry them right before serving, or keep them in a warm place.
- It's vegetarian but not gluten or lactose free.
- You can use fresh chopped parsley, if you don't like/have mint.
- You can find the video here