Dessert - Lactose free - Can be Gluten free (read notes at bottom)
1/3 + 1/8 cups sugar (90 grams approx)
2 tbsp flour (Soup spoons, well full)
3/4 cup water (1/2 + 1/4 cup divided - 120 ml/grams + 60 ml/grams)
1/4 cup lemon juice (1 lemon)
1 lemon rind (only the yellow part because the white is bitter)
2 egg yolks
In a small saucepan combine sugar, 1/2 cup water and the lemon peel, bring to a boil and let it boil about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
In the meantime, in another saucepan, combine flour, yolks, lemon juice and the remaining water; whisk well in order to avoid lumps.
Slowly stir the warm water in the yolk mixture, whisking. Cook, on medium heat, until it thickens. Discard lemon rind.
Pour the custard into individual bowls and let it cool down, then refrigerate until the moment to serve it. Cover it with plastic wrap because custards tend to absorb all odors!!!
This recipe makes 2 individual bowls.
- You can serve it with thin crisp cookies or layer it with ladyfingers dipped in fruit juice.
- It can also be served with strawberries.
- It is dairy free and, if you use corn starch instead of flour, it's also gluten free!
- You can discard lemon rind when you remove water from heat, if you like. This way, lemon flavor will be slightly less strong.
- You can find our video here