Pasta entree - Vegetarian and lactose free (read notes below)
1 lb Italian slowly dried Fusilli bucati corti (short hollow fusili)
2 green zucchine
3 ripe tomatoes
5 basil leaves
1 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tbsp Italian anchovy paste or 3 anchovy fillets (optional)
3 tbsp Italian extra virgin olive oil
Cut zucchine in half lengthwise and thinly slice them.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add salt, then pasta.
In the meantime, dice tomatoes and arrange them in a bowl with shredded basil, 1 tbsp of olive oil, anchovy paste and a pinch of salt; stir until the paste is dissolved and set aside.
In a large non-stick skillet, over medium-high heat warm the remaining olive oil and sautee onion and garlic until onion is translucent. Then add zucchine and sautee, stirring, for a couple of minutes. Season with salt.
Lower het to medium and, if needed, add a few tbsp of water and cook for about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes with all their juice and cook for another 10 minutes. Remover from heat.
Cook pasta for about 7-8 minutes, drain (always remember to reserve some of the cooking water) and transfer in the skillet with the sauce; sautee over medium-high heat, tossing to coat well, for about 2 minutes. If the sauce thickens too much, add a few tbsp of the reserved cooking water.
Serve immediately, sprinkling with some more fresh chopped basil or parsley (or both).
This recipe serves 4-5
- This is a perfect recipe for summertime!
- If you use anchovy fillets, melt them in the skillet with olive oil before sauteing onion and garlic.
- This is lactose free and vegetarian (provided that you don't use anchovies).
- If you like garlic flavor, but don't want it in your dish, just halve (or quarter) the clove and marinate it with the chopped tomatoes.
- If you can't find flavorful fresh tomatoes, you can use our Pomodorina sauce, which is perfect.