Side dish or appetizer - Vegetarian/vegan, lactose and gluten free
Bell peppers are still very good, flavorful and everywhere. I had a few in the refrigerator, so I decided to make one of my favorite dishes: peperonata! You need few ingredients, but of very good quality, and it's very easy to prepare; I forgot to add the parsley, so you won't see it in the picture... Have fun!
3 big bell peppers (same colors or assorted ones - no green peppers)
1 big onion, cut in wedges
1 14-oz can Italian San Marzano tomatoes, pureed
1 tbsp capers, packed in salt and rinsed
2 tbsp Italian extra virgin olive oil
Italian sea salt
Fresh chopped parsley.
Wash bell pepper, halve them and remove seeds and inner white ribbings, then slice them.
In a large saucepan with lid, over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. When ready add onions and sautee a couple of minutes, then add bell peppers slices and stir. Sautee, on medium heat, for about 3-4 minutes.
Then add capers to the peppers and stir in tomatoes. Season with salt. Cover with lid and lower heat to low.
Cook about 25-30 minutes, or until pepper are soft.
Stir in chopped fresh parsley and serve immediately.
This recipe serves 4.
- If you don't rinse capers, wait until the end of cooking time to season with salt.
- You can add a few Italian dried black olives to your peperonata (when you add the capers): again, watch the content in salt...
- You may need a few tbsp of warm vegetable broth, if the peperonata is too thick.
- This recipe is gluten and lactose free, vegetarian and vegan.
- You can find a video for this recipe here