Salad - Entree - Lactose and gluten free - Can be vegetarian/vegan (READ footnotes)
Summer: the salad season!! I love salads in any way, and I play with them. This time I found fennel bulbs that were worthy of their name!!! We grow our own lettuce and arugula, the latter was peppery beyond belief, which made it perfect for the dish!! Then I added a protein source (read footnotes for vegetarian substitutions).
1 celery stalk
1/2 fennel bulb
1 big cucumber
2 ripe tomatoes
1 can Italian tuna in olive oil
Italian extra virgin olive oil
Italian balsamic vinegar
Italian sea salt
Wash carefully lettuce and arugola; if you're using romaine (or similar) break leaves in smaller pieces.
Thinly slice, with a mandoline, fennel and carrot; peel and slice the cucumber; slice tomatoes and celery stalk (a little thicker than the other veggies).
Arrange all vegetables in a big bowl. Drain tuna from its oil and crumble it into the salad bowl.
In a small bowl put salt and balsamic vinegar and stir until salt dissolves, then add the olive oil and whisk until foamy. Drizzle over your salad, mix well to coat and serve.
Serves 2 people
- I didn't put quantity of lettuce and arugula because I didn't measure. I love them, especially if home-grown, therefore there was a lot of them.
- I forgot to add onions: they would have been amazing in this salad.
- I always peel cucumbers; if you use pickling ones, consider at least 3 of them and it's up to you to peel them or not.
- This recipe can be vegetarian/vegan provided that you substitute tuna with hard boiled eggs or cheese or beans or chickpas (the latter ones being the perfect substitutions to obtain a vegan recipe)
- It's lactose and gluten free.