250 gr. Italian 00 flour (tailored for pizza is the best)
125 ml. beer
1 tbsp Italian sea salt
Italian extra virgin olive oil to fry
In a bowl mix flour and salt.
Add beer, mixing with a fork, then knead on a floured surface until you obtain a smooth dough.
Wrap with plastic and let rest for 30 minutes.
Knead a couple more minutes, then roll out with a rolling pin about 1/4" thick.
Warm up the olive oil in a non-stick skillet.
Poke dough pieces with a fork, then fry them a few at a time.
Remove from oil and line on paper towel, to absorb excess oil.
The serving number depends on the size of the pieces.
not too gassy beer
really gassy beer
- Make sure oil is warm, by throwing in a small piece of bread which should fry rapidly.
- If the beer is too gassy, the dough will result puffier, if not too gassy, it will only have some "bubbles".
- It's lactose free and vegetarian/vegan.
- It's perfect in a mixed appetizer, even replacing bread.
- Gnocco fritto is NOT the kind of gnocchi you make with potatoes!!!