1 lb Italian ditalini (small pasta)
1 can Italian Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 can Italian Borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
1 bunch kale, central rib removed and broken into pieces
1 celery stalk
2 qt Chicken or vegetable broth, minimum
1 tbsp Italian double concentrated tomato paste
Italian extra virgin olive oil to drizzle
Bring the broth to a boil and cook celery and carrot in it. Blend celery, carrot, 1/3 of cannellini and 1/3 of borlotti beans with a few tablespons of broth.
Stir into the broth and add the peas, the remaining whole beans, the kale and the tomato paste; let boil for about 10 minutes, then season with salt, if necessary. Add ditalini and cook until al dente.
Serve immediately in individual bowls, drizzled with some olive oil.
- I used some leftover rotisserie chicken, used the bones to make a quick broth and scraped meat off the bones, adding them to the soup.
- You can use Italian dried cannellini and borlotti beans, just soak them 12-24 hours before and adjust cooking time accordingly (at least 2 hours for the beans)
- You can use Italian corn anellini and have a gluten free dish.
- It's lactose free and can be vegetarian, if you use vegetable broth.
- We carry both beans (canned or dried) and pasta.