Soup - Vegetarian & vegan - Lactose and Gluten free
1 28oz. can Italian San Marzano peeled tomatoes, sliced, with their juice
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
2 tbsp Italian extra virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup chopped basil
In a saucepan with lid, over medium high heat, warm olive oil and sautee onions and garlic, until onions are translucent.
Add tomatoes with their juice and cook, over medium heat, for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and blend until you obtain a smooth texture.
Transfer to the saucepan again, season with salt and cook for 5-10 more minutes, until it reaches your desired thickness; stir in basil.
Serve warm, in individual bowls, drizzled with some more olive oil.
This recipe serves 4
- In order to obtain a good dish, it's very important to use Italian San Marzano DOP (Protected Origin Denomination) which will ensure you're gettin the real San Marzano and not something else. San Marzano are the best peeled tomatoes you can find.
- You can add hot pepper flakes, if you like the extra kick.
- This soup is perfect if served with Italian bread, toasted and rubbed with garlic.
- Italian cans do NOT contain BPA!!!
- It's vegetarian, vegan, lactose and gluten free.