Soup - Vegetarian - Lactose and Gluten free
1 14-oz can Italian lentils, drained and rinsed
1 cup Italian Carnaroli rice
1 garlic clove, chopped
3 tbsp Italian extra virgin olive oil
1 cup Italian peeled San Marzano tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 tbsp chopped fresh sage and rosemary
8 cups vegetable stock, hot
Freshly chopped parsley
In a saucepan (with lid) warm olive oil over medium heat and sautee garlic until golden, then add San Marzano tomatoes and herbs and cokk for about 2-3 minutes, stirring.
Stir in rice and add 4 cups of the simmering vegetable stock; season with salt (and pepper if desired). Cook about 10 minutes, then add lentils and cook 10 more minutes, until rice is al dente.
If the soups thickens too much, add vegetable stock in small batches, until you reach desired consistency.
Serve in individual bowls sprinkled with fresh, chopped parsley and drizzled with Italian extra virgin olive oil.
This recipe serves 4-6
- You can use Italian farro, instead of rice
- Carnaroli is the best rice for risotto and soups because it holds the "al dente" very well
- San Marzano tomatoes are the best peeled tomatoes (and the ones we carry have no salt - no "nothing" added!!!)
- If you don't want to use chopped garlic, you can use Italian extra virgin garlic infused olive oil
- This soup is great also at room temperature. It can also be frozen, in order to have a good quick AND HEALTHY dinner
- It's vegetarian, lactose and gluten free!!!