Fish Appetizer - Entree
24 small smoked salmon slices
2/5 cup Italian organic barley, boiled and cold
2/5 cup Italian farro, boiled and cold
2/5 cup Italian carnaroli rice, boiled and cold
2 small zucchine, diced
1 small eggplant, diced
1 small bell pepper (red or yellow), diced
1 onion, minced
3 tbsp chopped fresh parsely
3 tbsp chopped fresh basil
8 oz Italian ricotta
6 tbsp Italian extra virgin olive oil, plus some to drizzle
In a non-stick skillet, warm 1 tbsp of olive oil and sautèè 1/3 of the chopped onion and the zucchine, cook until tender and transfer to a bowl to cool down.
In the same skillet, repeat to sautee eggplant and then to sautee bell pepper. Transfer in different bowl to cool down.
Add rice to bell pepper, barley to eggplant and farro to zucchine; then divide ricotta evenly among the three bowls with vegetables. Add 1 tbsp of parsley and basil in each bowl, then season with salt, 1 tbsp of olive oil and pepper (if you like it). Mix well to combine all ingredients.
Divide the mixture among the salmon slices, then roll and with chive. You should obtain 8 rolls per different stuffing.
Arrange rolls on a serving platter lined with shredded lettuce or cabbage, drizzle with some olive oil and freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Refrigerate for 30 minutes, covered with plastic wrap.
This recipe serves 4-8
- You can use cream cheese instead of ricotta, if you like it
- Boil rice 18-22 minutes, farro for 30-35 minutes, barley for 35-40 minutes, depending on how much "al dente" you like them
- You can mix the three "grains" after separate boiling, and the three vegetables, if you prefer.
- This recipe can serve 8 (1 roll per kind) if used in an appetizer, or 4 (2 rolls per kind) if used as entree.
- It's basically a complete meal.
- You can season the shredded lettuce or cabbage with a dressing made whisking Italian extra virgin olive oil, Italian high quality balsamic vinegar and salt.