Pasta entree - lactose free - can be vegetarian and gluten free (read notes below)
1 lb fusilli bucati corti
4 zucchine, grated
4 oz Italian dry cured black olives, pitted, halved
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 14-oz can of Italian San Marzano tomatoes with their juice, roughly chopped
40 mussels, opened, valves removed
2 tbsp basil, chopped
2 tbsp parsley, chopped
3 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
In the meantime, warm olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
When oil is warm, sautee garlic until golden and remove it; add zucchine and olives and stir. When zucchine are soft, add tomatoes, season with salt and hot pepper flakes, if you like it, cover with a lid and cook for about 10 minutes, then add mussels. Stir, lower the heat and simmer for about 10 more minutes. Remove from heat and sprinkle with the chopped herbs.
When water boils add salt and pasta, stir and cook until al dente (about 8-10 minutes), drain and transfer to the saucepan with the sauce, tossing it until well combined, on medium-high heat.
This recipe serves 4-6 people.
- You can also use same quantity of crushed or strained San Marzano tomatoes.
- This pasta shape is the best because it holds the sauce and, being hollow (bucati), sauce actually "enters" your pasta.
- You can make this sauce with clams, or half mussels and half clams. It is great even if you prepare it without fish, which will result in a vegetarian dish.
- It's a lactose free dish.
- You can use 2 boxes of Italian gluten free fusilli (made only with corn flour) making it a gluten free dish!