Appetizer - vegetarian - lactose free (see notes at bottom)
300 gr. Carnaroli Italian rice
1 jar peas, tiny and sweet, drained and rinsed
1 jar marinated artichokes, roughly chopped
1/4 cup sundried tomatoes, packed in olive oil, drained and julienned
5 tbsp Parmigiano, grated
4 tbsp parsley, chopped
Breadcrumbs, really Italian (fine, no flavors added one)
Extra virgin olive oil
Boil rice in the vegetable broth until desired doneness. Drain and arrange in a bowl.
Add Parmigiano, peas, artichokes, sundried tomatoes and parsley. Mix well so all ingredients are well combined.
Form "balls" about the size of a walnut.
Beat eggs in a plate and arrange breadcrumbs in another.
Roll "balls" in the eggs, then in the breadcrumbs in order to coat them completely. Repeat.
Deep fry "balls" in hot olive oil. Arrange them on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- It's hard to predict how many portions will there be: it depends on how big the "balls" are going to be.
- If you don't use Parmigiano, it will be a lactose free dish. It's also vegetarian.
- This recipe is perfect for an appetizer.
- If you flatten the "balls", before passing them in egg and breadcrumbs, the frying time and the necessary oil will be less.
- You can add chopped prosciutto or ham or bacon (cooked) or olives....