Entree - appetizer - celiacs-safe - vegetarian
6 oz ricotta cheese
2 oz asiago (or pecorino), diced
2 slices prosciutto, julienne cut
3 tbsp parmigiano, grated
Nutmeg, salt and pepper
Extra virgin olive oil
Slice artichokes in thin wedges and sautee them in a non-stick skillet with 1 tbsp of olive oil; add a few tbsp of water, cover with lid, lower to simmer and stew until tender (10-15 minutes).
Preheat oven to 375.
In the meantime, arrange ricotta in a bowl and add asiago, prosciutto and egg, season with nutmeg, salt and pepper; mix well to combine all ingredients.
Lightly grease a 8" baking pan with olive oil; pour half of the ricotta mixture, half of the artichoke and repeat.
Sprinkle with parmigiano and bake for 25-30 minutes.
Serve warm, or at room temperature, with a mixed salad.
This recipe serves 2
- You can use marinated artichoke hearts, well drained and sliced as recipe requests.
- You can use vegetable broth (or chicken broth) to stew artichokes.
- You can have a vegetarian dish if you don't use prosciutto and chicken broth.
- You can add a couple of tbsp of breadcrumbs (the REAL Italian style: fine and without seasonings) to the parmigiano, in order to obtain a crispier top.
- You can cook it in the microwave (6 minutes at power 8), so you don't have to raise the temperature in your home. It will not be crispy on top, unless you put it for 3-4 minutes under the broiler.
- It's celiacs-safe
- It can be served as an entree or in a mixed appetizer.