Rice entree - vegetarian - celiacs and lactose intolerants-safe (read notes below)
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup diced zucchini
1/2 cup peas
1/2 cup diced green onions
1 1/4 cup carnaroli rice
5 cups vegetable stock at least
6-8 zucchini flowers
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 tbsp grated parmigiano
Put stock in a covered pot on high heat until it boils, then lower heat to simmer.
Prepare the flowers. Open each flower, remove bottom and pistil; wash and pat dry each flower, then cut them in thin strips.
Meanwhile, in a big non-stick skillet warm the olive oil and sautee all the vegetables for 5 minutes, stirring often.
Stir in rice, add wine and let evaporate. Add stock, a ladle at a time, stirring often to prevent sticking, but not continuously. Cook until al dente, about 18-20 minutes.
When the risotto is ready, add flowers, parmigiano and a couple extra tbsp of olive oil (or butter) stir and serve immediately.
This recipe serves 4.
- You can find zucchini flowers at the farmers' market but the availability is limited and, once you buy them, you have to use them within 2 days, at most.
- Carnaroli is the best variety for risotto: a little less starchy and not as easy to overcook as the others.
- You can also add green beans, artichoke hearts, tomaotes, red onions and other vegetables you like.
- It's celiac-safe and vegetarian.
- To make it lactose intolerants safe, don't use parmigiano or butter.