Salad - vegetarian - Lactose intolerant safe (no cheese, see below for substitutions)
4/5 cup of farro
2 heads of red Italian radicchio, washed and shredded
1 bunch arugula, washed
4 oz cheese, diced (pecorino, asiago, provolone)
1/4 cup walnuts, lightly roasted and roughly chopped
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp basamic glaze
salt and pepper
First of all, cook the farro. Bring a pot with water to boil, add salt and farro, stir and cook for about 30/35 minutes, depending on how "al dente" you like it.
In the mean time, arrange radicchio and arugula in a big bowl together with walnuts and cheese.
Drain farro, chill it quickly under cold water and spread it on a clean kitchen cloth so it will dry and cool properly.
Add farro to the salad and mix well to combine.
In a small bow arrange oil, vinegar, salt and pepper and mix (with a fork or a small whisk) until almosot creamy, pour it over the salad, toss well and serve immediately.
This recipe serves 4.
- You can use any cheese you like, or a mix of cheeses. If you want to use Parmigaino, shave it and don't dice it.
- You can use eggs or tuna (packed in olive oil) instead of cheese or together with cheese.
- You can add a variety of greens: roman lettuce, green/red leaf lettuce, iceberg lettuce and so on...
- You can use barley or rice instead of farro, adjusting the cooking time.
- Remeber that, especially for salads, it's VERY important to use dressing ingredients of superior quality because they are a big part of the result you'll obtain.